+/-

HERE IS WHERE YOU PLACE THE HIDDEN FOOTNOTE TEXT.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Book Review: If at Birth You Don't Succeed

I slowed down a bit, but not to fret - I'm still chugging away at my reading goal. 

6/33: If at Birth You Don't Succeed by Zach Anner. 

Two memoirs in a row! I had been intending to alternate fiction and non-fiction, but the fiction book I had was just too dense. 

This was rather better written than the previous, though the story order was slightly disjointed - lots of jumping backward and forward in time. It did make me literally[1] laugh out loud at parts (see: "With Apologies to Gene Shalit"), and moved me at other parts (his experiences with music and family were touching).  

As is often the case, this book could have been about 25% shorter. But take that with a grain of salt; Devo frequently thinks books could stand to be shorter. Or even made into pamphlets. 

If you want to watch, rather than read about, all of Zach's adventures, they're all on the Tube of You.

xo, 
Devo

[1] As Kory Stamper would say, "usage 1" - that is, actually "literally" and not "figuratively."

No comments:

Post a Comment